[pf4freebsd] Re: [ALTQ] DIOCGIFSPEED: Bad file descriptor

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 15 21:09:50 PDT 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 23:31, Jonas Davidsson wrote:
> What does this mean?
> I've patched the sources,
> am running the patched kernel,
> the pf_freebsd-altq-2.03 package is compiled and installed,
> all pf-modules including pfaltq are loaded,
> everything else about pf works great, except when i try ty do altq on
> $interface. That's when it says: "pfctl: DIOCGIFSPEED: Bad file descriptor"
> I've tried this with two NICs, rl0 and xl0. Both should be supported.
> The system is running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9

Hmmm ... EBADF is returned by ioctl() to indicate that the passed fd is not
valid (DIOCGIFSPEED returns EINVAL to indicate error) so that means that
somehow the reference to "/dev/pf" got scrabbled or was never setup correctly
(which would be strange when everything else works).

If you are familiar with gdb, you could try to set a breakpoint in
"eval_pfaltq()" and check if pf->dev is a properly initialized fd or not.

Other than that, I can only invite you (and everybody else) to check out
-current. Not only does it provide newer, better pf- and altq-support, you
will also help to shake out the last bunch of bugs in order to make 5.3 a
success. Thanks!

/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier at freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News