[pf4freebsd] Re: Maturity of this port?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 15 21:04:08 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 07:34, Ryan Verner wrote:
> Honestly - how mature is this port?  Is it recommended for production
> use?  How feature rich and stable is it compared to the OpenBSD offering
> - any known bugs?  Is this going to be actively maintained for the
> forseeable future?

Okay, I'll try to address these fairly general questions:
1) As you might have seen (I should really update the homepage) the port is
now part of the FreeBSD source tree.
2) FreeBSD 5.x is -CURRENT and as such not recommend for production use
per-se. However, if you find FreeBSD-5.x reasonably stable in your
environment pf will not be the show-stopper. I use 5.x on all my boxes and am
satisfied, even tracking -CURRENT (with a delay of a week or so) is good for
most application I think.
3) FreeBSD-Current has the same feature-set as OpenBSD 3.4. Everything should
work as known from OpenBSD. ALTQ is not part of FreeBSD (yet). One major
problem with 3.4 however, is the lack of dynamic interface support. This
might cause problems with certain mpd setups (when tun0 is destroyed it might
trigger a panic when pf still has a reference to this interface).
4) An (experimental) import of OpenBSD 3.5 and ALTQ is available from:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/ I run it on two router, my laptop and my
desktop/development machine without problems, but am still waiting for more
feedback from other list-users. I can only encourage you to give it a spin, I
am very confident that this will match your needs.
5) Daniel Hartmeier accepted a FreeBSD commit-bit to maintain the port on
FreeBSD in addition to myself. We will try to stay in sync with OpenBSD
stable and will very likely import more reliability fixes from OpenBSD
current than OpenBSD MFC's to its stable branch (as the policy for MFC'ing is
very strict over there).

test the patches (which are very close to stable already). If you do not need
ALTQ you can install FreeBSD-current and have OpenBSD 3.4-STABLE pf.

Best regards,				| mlaier at freebsd.org
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet