[pf4freebsd] pf 1.59 and ALTQ install trouble

cipherbk cipherbk at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 20:42:24 PDT 2004

Hello,

I've been battling with PF 1.59 and the new ALTQ (0.4) patches for 5.1
and having no luck getting them to install.  I've tried using the
install instructions from PF's README.ALTQ (which is way outdated) and
I've followed the instructions from the ALTQ README:

INSTALL
        Kernel:
        1. copy your sys tree to a new sys.altq directory

        # cd /usr/src
        # cp -pr sys sys.altq

        2. move your old sys away

        # mv /usr/src/sys /usr/src/sys.orig

        3. link the new sys.altq

        # ln -s /usr/src/sys.altq /usr/src/sys

        4. apply sys-altq-current.diff to the kernel sources in
sys.altq

        # cd altq-distdir
        # patch -d /usr/src/sys.altq -p0 <
sys-altq-freebsd-5.1-release.diff

        5. copy the altq kernel files into sys.altq/altq
        # cp -pr altq /usr/src/sys.altq

        6. add "options ALTQ" to your KERNEL or use the KERNEL named
"ALTQ"

        7. rebuild your kernel and reboot your system

        Headers:
        1. create symbolic link /usr/include/altq ->
/usr/src/sys.altq/altq

I am using the 'new' way to build a kernel, i.e., specify
KERNCONF=ALTQKERNEL in /etc/make.conf, then when it's time to build and
install the kernel, I run 'make buildkernel' and 'make installkernel'
from /usr/src.  Now, PF doesn't load, even though I didn't get any
errors during the kernel build/install, nor during the install of PF
after the ALTQ kernel was installed.

When attempting to bring up pf.ko, it complains with:
kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/pf.ko: No such file or directory

However, it's clearly present:
# ls -la /boot/kernel|grep pf.ko
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   141897 Aug  3 09:10 pf.ko

BTW, it gives the same for pfaltq.ko, and that's in /boot/kernel also.
Obviously, PF fails to start.  PF was working fine before I tried to
install ALTQ.

I even blew away everything in /usr/src, re-cvsup'd and started from
scratch and get the same result.  Again, I was successful in getting
ALTQ working on 5.0 (first try, even!), but the ALTQ install procedure
for 5.0 was somewhat different.

dmesg:
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
link_elf: symbol altq_lookup undefined
link_elf: symbol altq_lookup undefined
KLD pf.ko: depends on pfaltq - not available

I'm attempting to load pfaltq.ko, then pf.ko at startup (as well as
bring up pflog0, pfsync0, pflog.ko)

Any ideas, fellas?  Is there something missing from the instructions?