Plans for 6-CURRENT and 5-STABLE

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 17 21:31:07 PDT 2004

it was said by Max Laier on 17.10.04:

>There are some FreeBSD specific things that need improvement and clean
>up. This is the first task that I will work on in 6-CURRENT starting
>from now.
>
>Most prominently this includes the interface handling. There are some
>open problems to be addressed, such as the inability to recognize
>renamed interfaces as well as problems around 6to4.

Does this include improvements in bridging? I saw your comments in a
FBSD's bridging support are needed to enable use of all of pf's
features. While I am not using bridging now, I will need to set it up
in six months or so.

>Another big thing on the plate now, is a shared/exclusive lock
semantic >for the ruleset evaluation. This will not only speed things
up by quite >a bit, but will also resolve the requirement to run with
mpsafenet=0 if >one wants to use user/group based filter rules.

How badly does this impact now? This is a feature I have been looking
forward to using.

>All these projects will be merged into 5-STABLE once they have proven
in HEAD.

Will they be merged to 5-RELEASE, as well? I prefer not to track
STABLE.

Thanks for reading so far, please let me know your thoughts, concerns
and questions.

You're welcome. And thank you for your efforts in bring pf over from
OpenBSD! One final question: Considering the inevitable loss of sync
with the OBSD version, is separate FreeBSD-centric documentation
planned? I ask because currently all docs are done by OBSD people, as
far as I can tell. (I'd be willing to try my hand at this if someone
doesn't mind my asking a lot of questions.)

Thanks again,

Stheg