Installing on FreeBSD 5.2.1

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Oct 15 14:25:31 PDT 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 15:19, Sean Preston wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry to have to ask this.  I have done a number of searches and tried to
> figure this out but having some problems.  I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and
> would like to use pf with the traffic shaping stuff (altq I think) and
> everything I read says it is a part of the base from 5.2 upwards.

Where do you get that information from? ALTQ was imported June 12th 2004 into
FreeBSD. This is quite some time after the 5.2(.1) release was cut.

> What do I need to do to install it on my system because I don't seem to have
> it as part of my base system.

You need patches from rofug.ro which are outdated and you have to compile the
pf port with special options etc. etc. ... All in all nothing you want to be
near. I urge - once again - that everybody who is considering pf in
productive use should move to RELENG_5 and get everything out of the box and
in way better shape than possible in 5.2.1 + port (+ altq patches ...)

> Currently my supfile uses RELENG_5_2 as the tag is this the problem?  IF so
> what should I be using.  The other thing is how stable is it as I want to
> use the system in a production environment.

Don't go near it. Though it will work and is in productive use on quite a few
big sites, I suggest everybody who wants to build a productive pf(+altq)
system today to check out 5.3R ... the BETA releases are already much higher
quality than the 5.2.1 (technologie demo) release. There are some pending
issues, but chances are that you will never hit them - while the chance for
hitting something bad in 5.2.1 + pf-port + altq-patches is *way* bigger!

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org