pf multipath nat

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Nov 24 09:14:23 PST 2004

Marko,

[ Please line-wrap your mail ]

On Saturday 20 November 2004 02:53, Marko Cuk wrote:
> I have a question regarding this...
>
> What happen, if one of the uplinks goes down ? What does pf knows about
> states of interfaces and availiability ?

Nothing. In OpenBSD there is a daemon called ifstated(8) which monitors the
interface states and can take action if one link goes down. For instance, it
could remove the related rules from an anchor.

Fortunately, Matthew George has just recently ported ifstated(8) and it has
been included into the ports collection ad net/ifstated:
http://www.freshports.org/net/ifstated/

> I'd like to know also, how to configure FreeBSD, to send out packet with
> proper source IP and what is the default route in that case ? Can anyone
> speak a little about that ?

That depends on what you want. For traffic from your LAN you explicitly set
the source IP in the NAT rules. For traffic originating from the gateway
itself, you have to decide where you want it to go and how it should get
there. You can always ask pf to pickup that traffic as well and transform it
in the same ways you do it for traffic originated from your LAN/DMZ.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org