FreeBSD ALTQ + PF Problem

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sat Nov 13 19:53:52 PST 2004

On Saturday 13 November 2004 21:58, Shane James wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm having a problem with pf + altq on FreeBSD 5.2.1 (FreeBSD
> uplink-rtr-jhb.virtek.co.za 5.2.1-RELEASE-p11 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p11 #1:
> Sat Nov 13 15:59:38 SAST 2004
> root at uplink-rtr-jhb.virtek.co.za:/usr/src/sys.altq/i386/compile/UPLINK
> i386)
>
> The Traffic I assign to queue's does not get limited according to the
> specific limit, it only get's limited by the global bandwidth limited
> assign to the specific NIC.
> e.g. I assign traffic to a queue(argon_d) which is limited to 128Kb... but
> it performs at 256Kb which is what the NIC is set to. therefore not being
> assigned to it's designated queue. is it at all possible that this is a
> problem perhaps with my Network cards... if not... any suggestions?
>
> pf.conf
>
> altq on $uplink_if bandwidth 256Kb hfsc queue { dflt_u, argon_u }
> queue argon_u hfsc(realtime 64Kb upperlimit 64Kb)
> queue dflt_u hfsc(default upperlimit 128Kb)
>
> altq on $hosting_if bandwidth 256Kb hfsc queue { dflt_d, argon_d }
> queue argon_d hfsc(realtime 64Kb upperlimit 64Kb)
> queue dflt_d hfsc(default upperlimit 128Kb)
>
> #assign argon traffic
> pass out on $uplink_if from 196.23.168.137 to any keep state queue argon_u
> pass out on $hosting_if from any to 196.23.168.137 keep state queue argon_d

I assume that is not your *complete* ruleset?!? Can everybody please post
complete rulesets when asking for help? It is okay to emphasize the parts
that you think are important as it will help to understand the problem, but
giving advice or debugging it impossible without the complete ruleset.

Other than that, what does "$pfctl -vvsq" tell you? Does it show that traffic
is being assigned to the small queue at all?

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org