problem with table

Pyun YongHyeon yongari at kt-is.co.kr
Fri Dec 17 17:28:08 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:40:00AM -0800, Jon Simola wrote:
 > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:58:00 +0100, ChOcO Bn <choco.bn at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > i'm using freebsd 5.3 with pf and altq compiled in kernel.
 > > i'm trying to fill a table with a file containing some range of ips (
 > > according to CIDR norms )
 > >
 > > choco ~/ip_guardian# cat guarding.ip | wc -l
 > >    46916
 > >
 > > and when i try to reload my rules, i can't get it work :
 > >
 > > "cannot define table guardian: Cannot allocate memory"
 > >
 > > How could i handle this ?
 >
 > I'd try various amounts to see how many you can load into a table. I
 > suspect 47 thousand is a bit much, perhaps trying multiple smaller
 > tables?

During early days of pf porting, I measured table's locking
overhead within copyin/copyout using TSC. At that time I used
108000 entries generated by shell script.
AFAIK, the number of entries that can be loaded into a table
depends on available kernel memory. And there is no limit if
your system has enough memory.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon