IPv6 MLD packets blocked

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sat Dec 4 10:57:29 PST 2004

On Saturday 04 December 2004 03:34, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to enable IPv6 multicast forwarding on my FreeBSD
> home gateway. With both pim6sd and xorp I had the problem that MLD (IGMP
> for IPv6) from clients did not come through to the appropriate daemon
> and therefor groups are never subscribed.
>
> This seems to be a problem with pf. When I disable pf with "pfctl -d" it
> works like a charm; when I enable pf again, even with the simple ruleset
>
> pass all

Does your setup include a 6to4 (stf(4)) device? If so then you should move to
a RELENG_5 with pf_if.c, rev. 1.5.2.2. (you can simply move that one file).

To debug a problem like this you should use a ruleset like:

block log all
pass all

and watch pflog on tcpdump. It'll give you information why a packet is
dropped. Increasing the verbosity of pf's debug facilities might also be
helpful: # pfctl -xm

> it breaks. I've uploaded a sample of a MLD packet to
>
> http://www.birkenwald.de/~berni/tmp/mld.dump
>
> FreeBSD heimdall.birkenwald.de 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Wed Nov
> 24 00:48:49 CET 2004

pf_if.c went in "Nov 24 16:57:32 2004 UTC" so you might have missed it.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org