ports/182790: Perl 5.16.3 & 5.18.1_1 package build failure

Dewayne dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Tue Oct 8 07:00:02 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR ports/182790; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Dewayne" <dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au>
To: <bug-followup at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: ports/182790: Perl 5.16.3 & 5.18.1_1 package build failure
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:52:00 +1100

 The following make command, compresses the man pages and the package is built:
 make __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/ports DISTDIR=/distfiles TMPDIR=/tmp PACKAGES=/packages -DBATCH
 DEFAULT_VERSIONS=perl5=5.16 clean deinstall package

 The following installs, but does not produce a package due to absent pkg-plist man pages:
 make __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/ports DISTDIR=/distfiles TMPDIR=/tmp PACKAGES=/packages -DNO_STAGE -DBATCH
 DEFAULT_VERSIONS=perl5=5.16 clean deinstall package

 Clearly when NO_STAGE is set, it inhibits the "Compressing man pages" phase for devel/autoconf, lang/perl5.16 and lang/perl5.18; and
 prevents the success of a package build.

 It is an intended effect that if NO_STAGE is set that the port is installed in the usual place /usr/local. Though I've only focused
 on these three packages).

 As a suggested workaround for those building packages, I'd suggest adding to make.conf, something like:
 STAGEDIR=       /staging
 Because some ports do look for other components before they will correctly build.  (and no, STAGEDIR=/dev/null does not work, and is
 a little silly)

 The ports system will create $STAGEDIR (using mkdir) and populate the BSD tree, under /usr.

 Aside: I wonder what happens if PREFIX=/not-under-usr ;)

 Regards, Dewayne.