Tuning and monitoring write intensive server

Walter von Entferndt walter.von.entferndt at posteo.net
Sun Feb 7 15:55:20 UTC 2021

At Sonntag, 7. Februar 2021, 13:00:04 CET Vladilen Kozin
<vladilen.kozin at gmail.com> wrote:
> [1 dedicated disk/ufs per thread, no redundency,...]

RTFM tuning(7), zpool(8), zfs(8), gjournal(8), gstripe(8), gsched(8).

- Obviously striping the disks will be beneficial, but it seems you
don't want that (not enough disks?) & know what you're doing.  I suppose
your special task can tolerate data loss intentionally (no redundency).

- Having the intent log on a dedicated, fast medium (SSD or NVD) would
gain performance.  Either ZFS can do that, or you can use gjournal(8).

- Inserting an I/O scheduler might improve performance, too (gsched(8)).
Yes, UFS is likely faster than ZFS on such a setup, but ZFS offers many
advantages in terms of administration, fault tolerance & reliability.

You can fetch my scripts to insert the scheduler (rc(8) script) &
fs_summarize.awk to estimate the parameters for newfs(8) from the forums
in the thread "Useful scripts".  I.e. run the AWK script on some samples
of your working data, then adjust the appropiate knobs to newfs(8).
Note that ZFS automagically adjusts to the I/O chunk size.

To monitor the I/O, use systat(1).  Additionally, you can find a
plethora of ports(7) for this, use psearch(1) or portfind(1) (install
1st).
--
=|o)  "Stell' Dir vor es geht und keiner kriegt's hin." (Wolfgang Neuss)