Xeon Gold 6138's Running FBSD 11.1 and TrueOS Stable [GCC 5.4]

O. Hartmann ohartmann at walstatt.org
Mon Oct 9 10:02:46 UTC 2017

Am Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:42:01 -0400
Allan Jude <allanjude at freebsd.org> schrieb:

> On 2017-10-08 21:03, grarpamp wrote:
> > http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25148
> >
> > While we have tested a number of Linux distributions on Intel's new
> > Xeon Scalable platform, here are some initial BSD tests using two Xeon
> > Gold 6138 processors with the Tyan GT24E-B7106 1U barebones server.
> > FreeBSD 11.1 and the FreeBSD-derivative desktop/workstation-focused
> > TrueOS (formerly known as PC-BSD) were the primary candidates for
> > testing. TrueOS stable is currently tracking FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT
> > development.
> > When comparing the out-of-the-box performance of FreeBSD/TrueOS and
> > even with running under the GCC compiler rather than LLVM Clang, the
> > Linux distributions were offering noticeably better performance on
> > this dual Intel Xeon Gold server.
> >

> You might want to try enabling turbo boost.
>
> sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq=9999
>
> This will change the cpu frequency from the default (2000 mhz) to 2001
> mhz, which will enable turbo boost (this specific CPU bursts to 3700
> mhz), so this will likely make a very large difference in your benchmarks.
>
> To get more consistent results, you may actually want to disable
> turboboost in the bios, and rerun the benchmarks on ALL of the operating
> systems.

Wow, the difference between the FreeBSDs and Linux performance is amazing and for those
looking at the first time on such benchmarks not knowing much about the turbo boost issue
one would definitely choose the faster one :-(

I'd appreciate results of a benchmark considering no boost and with a light sched on the
scheduler (doesn't Linux have a very sophisticated scheduler dealing/scaling very
efficient with lots of threads/cpu cores? This could also be a very interesting benchmark
pointing to AMDs new Epyc platform comprised also from lots of cpu cores).

Kind regards,

oh

--
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder Übermittlung meiner Daten für
Werbezwecke oder für die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (§ 28 Abs. 4 BDSG).