PostgreSQL performance on FreeBSD

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 21 19:48:02 UTC 2016

Thanks, Konstantin for the great work, we are definitely looking forward to
get all those improvements to be part of the default FreeBSD kernel/port.
Would be nice if you can post an update some day later as to what's
integrated and what's not.

Just in case, I've opened #14206 with PG to switch us to using POSIX
semaphores by default. Apart from the mentioned performance benefits, SYSV
semaphores are PITA to deal with as they come in very limited quantities by
default. Also they might stay around if PG dies/gets nuked and prevent it
from starting again due to overflow. We've got some quite ugly code to
clean up those using ipcrm(1) in our build scripts to deal with just that.
I am happy that code could be retired now.

-Maxim