Measuring ZFS configuration differences

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Wed Nov 18 02:23:07 UTC 2015

> On Nov 17, 2015, at 8:46 PM, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 12, 2015, at 1:30 AM, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> during the FreeBSD Developer
>>> our implementation phase now that some

>>> server (varm) in question:

>>> that.

>>> my rack.
>>>
>>> Marcelo: At EuroBSDCon, was it you who mentioned a particular
>>> configuration for the test machine which made
>>> it easy to configure and run tests?  Was it PXE booting or something?

>>> connection
>>> connection

>>> http://langille.org/
>>>

>> Hello Dan,
>>
>> Yes, was me :)
>>
>> I mention about zopkio test framework.
>> I gave a presentation last weekend at PyCon Hong Kong about it.
>>
>> Here is my slides:
>> http://www.slideshare.net/araujobsd/functional-and-scale-performance-tests-using-zopkio
>>
>> The good of Zopkio is, we can write tests at once and run it as much as we
>> want in different machines. Also Zopkio depends of Naarad, that can parse a
>> CSV file and create metrics and SLA over those metrics, plot graphs and so
>> on. Pretty nice tool!!!
>>
>> I'm wondering if we could start to test something and maybe show it at
>> AsiaBSDCon and BSDCon(Canada) next year? What do you think?
>> What I need right now would be a list of tests that we want to perform as
>> well as what parameters we would like to take as metrics to compare.\
>>

>> For tests, we can start with this list:
>> https://github.com/dlangille/zfs_benchmarks/issues
>>
>> We can start as soon as I figure out how to provide access to the
>> testers.  See above re serial connection.
>>
>> I want to provide access, but I want to keep access restricted to only
>> this box and not to the rest of my home LAN.  I plan to do this via a
>> VLAN.
>>
>> I could fire up a Rasperberry Pi and allow ssh into that.  Will that be
>> enough
>> power for what you need to do?
>>

> First of all, thanks to share the tests cases.
>
> If I use zopkio, the best would be access SSH direct to the target machine
> where I need to run the tests. For zopkio, I need to have my SSH KEY on the
> target machine.

I am OK with this.

> As I don't know your network, maybe what you could do is: Via RasperBerry,
> forward the SSH to the target machine, I will pass-through via your
> RasperBerry where you can control the access for the rest of your LAN.
>
> Another approach could be, two different subnets and a firewall. Or as you
> said, VLANS.

I will be doing VLANS, which have yet to be set up.

The target system will have ZFS pools can be configured for different tests (i.e. raidz2 vs raidz3).
This will involve gpart etc because the drives & pools will need to be 'wiped' between different test
runs.

I seem to recall someone suggesting PXE boot and configuring the system remotely.  Does anyone
recall that?  That aspect of the discussion was not recorded: https://wiki.freebsd.org/201510DevSummit/Performance

—
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/