Measuring ZFS configuration differences

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Tue Nov 17 19:15:05 UTC 2015

> On Nov 12, 2015, at 1:30 AM, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 1:00 PM, Dan Langille <dan at langille.org <mailto:dan at langille.org>> wrote:
> >
> > Following up on the discussions during EuroBSDCon 2015 (Stockholm) during the FreeBSD Developer
> > Summit regarding various ZFS configuration settings, I write to start our implementation phase now that some
> > usual suspects have joined the list.
> >
> >  re https://wiki.freebsd.org/201510DevSummit/Performance <https://wiki.freebsd.org/201510DevSummit/Performance>
> >
> > I think the first order of business is granting access rights to the server (varm) in question:
> >
> >  http://dan.langille.org/2015/07/19/varm/ <http://dan.langille.org/2015/07/19/varm/>
> >
> > During the workshop, mention was made of serial access.  I can arrange that.
> >
> > The server has IPMI, however, my first thought:
> >
> > 1 - connect a USB-serial cable to varm & link that to another server in my rack.
>
> Marcelo: At EuroBSDCon, was it you who mentioned a particular configuration for the test machine which made
> it easy to configure and run tests?  Was it PXE booting or something?
>
> > 2 - create a jail in that server and give it access to that serial connection
> > 3 - redirect incoming port XYZ to that jail via a public-key-only ssh connection
> > 4 - give people access
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
>> Dan Langille
> http://langille.org/ <http://langille.org/>
>

> Hello Dan,
>
> Yes, was me :)
>
> I mention about zopkio test framework.
> I gave a presentation last weekend at PyCon Hong Kong about it.
>
> Here is my slides: http://www.slideshare.net/araujobsd/functional-and-scale-performance-tests-using-zopkio <http://www.slideshare.net/araujobsd/functional-and-scale-performance-tests-using-zopkio>
>
> The good of Zopkio is, we can write tests at once and run it as much as we want in different machines. Also Zopkio depends of Naarad, that can parse a CSV file and create metrics and SLA over those metrics, plot graphs and so on. Pretty nice tool!!!
>
> I'm wondering if we could start to test something and maybe show it at AsiaBSDCon and BSDCon(Canada) next year? What do you think?
> What I need right now would be a list of tests that we want to perform as well as what parameters we would like to take as metrics to compare.\

For tests, we can start with this list: https://github.com/dlangille/zfs_benchmarks/issues <https://github.com/dlangille/zfs_benchmarks/issues>

We can start as soon as I figure out how to provide access to the testers.  See above re serial connection.

I want to provide access, but I want to keep access restricted to only
 this box and not to the rest of my home LAN.  I plan to do this via a VLAN.

I could fire up a Rasperberry Pi and allow ssh into that.  Will that be enough
power for what you need to do?

—
Dan Langille
http://langille <http://langille/>.org/