I like iostat, but...

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Tue Sep 23 09:43:08 UTC 2014

On Sep 23, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Stefan Parvu wrote:

>> Anyway, for disk stats GEOM offers a nice API. You can get delays per GEOM provider, bandwidths, etc.
>
> Are you talking about C consumers or I can do that using Perl, Sh ?
>
> Is there any way to consume the metrics via Perl, for example ? I could not find
> any decent documentation how to do that except some emails:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-March/194081.html

C consumers, although of course you can write a Perl module in C in case you prefer Perl.

If the shock of reading atrocious code won't make you pull your eyes out of your sockets I
can send you the latest version of devilator a FreeBSD specific data collector for Orca
(https://www.orcaware.com/orca/).

It fetches several system stats (CPU usage, memory usage, etc) and creates text files
with a timestamp. Orca generates RRD databases and graphs consuming that data.

The code is ugly as hell (it's always been an evolving hack) but it works, I've been using it
for years. Maybe it will help to do your own version if you wish.

Borja.