FreeBSD 10 and PostgreSQL 9.3 scalability issues

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Wed Mar 19 23:40:07 UTC 2014

> As far as I know, the test was done on both UFS2 and ZFS and the
> difference was marginal.

As Adrian pointed out, there is an mmap(2) mutex in the way. Starting in PostgreSQL 9.3, shared buffers are allocated out of mmap(2) instead of shm. shm is only used to notify the PostgreSQL postmaster that a child process exited/crashed (when a pid detaches from a shm segment, there is a kernel event, but there is no kernel event when detaching from an mmap(2) region). -sc

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/release-9-3.html#AEN115039

--
Sean Chittenden
sean at chittenden.org