ZFS read performance

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 01:34:24 UTC 2014

First off avoid using mfi its a RAID card which adds a extra layer
you dont want even in jbob mode.

Whats the mfi max_cmd set to? If you havent already set it to -1
/boot/loader.conf (hw.mfi.max_cmds=-1) which means controller max.

Next 4GB on a machine avoid it if possible, thats whats disabling
prefetch by default, I'd recommend a min of 8Gb more if posslbe.

When you "add" a disk your creating a stripe which is bad news if
any single disk fails, so avoid that at all costs.

Finally your issue with read performance is likely your block size,
you set it for write to 1mb (which is reasonable) but you didn't
on read so will be 512b which will likely cpu limit in the dd
process instead of bottlenecking on the disk / FS performance.

    Regards
    Steve