New Phoronix performance benchmarks between some Linuxes and *BSDs

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue May 28 07:08:33 UTC 2013

Phoronix has emitted another of its "famous" performance tests
comparing different flavours of Linux (their obvious favorite OS):

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=bsd_linux_8way&num=1

It is "impressive, too, to see that PHORONIX did not benchmark the
gaming performance - this is done exclusively on the Linux
distributions, I guess in the lack of suitable graphics cards at
Phronix (although it should be possible to compare the nVidia BLOB
performance between each system).

Although I'm not much impressed by the way the benchmarks are
orchestrated, Phoronix is the only platform known to me providing those
from time to time benchmarks on most recent available operating systems.

Also, the bad performance of ZFS compared to to UFS2 seems to have a
very harsh impact on systems were that memory- and performance-hog ZFS
isn't really needed.

Surprised and really disappointing (especially for me personally) is
the worse performance of the Rodinia benchmark on the BSDs, for what I
try to have deeper look inside to understand the circumstances of the
setups and what this scientific benchmark is supposed to do and
measure.

But the overall conclusion shown on Phoronix is that what I see at our
department which utilizes some Linux flavours, Ubuntu 12.01 or Suse and
in a majority CentOS (older versions), which all outperform the several
FreeBSd servers I maintain (FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE and FreeBSD
10.0-CURRENT, so to end software compared to some older Linux kernels).