Scaling and performance issues with FreeBSD 9 (& 10) on 4 socket systems

David O'Brien obrien at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 13 18:31:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 06:32:41AM -0500, Mark Felder wrote:
> The CPUs between those machines are quite different.

I wouldn't say they are "quite" different.  It's not like comparing
Netburst to Core2, or I believe even original Core2 to Sandybridge.
I may be wrong, I've not followed Intel cores from a micro-architecture
POV too closely.

If anything it's typical for a newer micro-architecture to perform the
same at a lower clock speed.

> I'm sure we're
> looking at different cache sizes, different behavior for the
> hyperthreading,

Is there something specific you are thinking of?
The Xeon E5-4650 has 20M "smart" cache organized as ???
The Xeon X5690 has 12M "smart" cache organized as ???
I know the AMD cache hierarchy for L1 I&D, L2, L3; but I'm not seeing this
as clearly spelled out for these Xeons.

> etc. I'm sure others would be greatly interested in you
> providing the same benchmark results for a recent snapshot of HEAD as well.

10-CURRENT results were in
http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/jbm/vanitygen/vanity-perf-graph.png
as "fbsd10".  Or are you suggesting something else?

thanks for your thoughts!
--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)