Outgoing mail server performance

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 5 22:40:09 UTC 2013

On 5 July 2013 00:45, TJ <tj at wallago.co.uk> wrote:
> I thought you might say that.
> So is there nothing i can do on the OS side to make things a little faster.
> Or general performance enhancements that would show some benefit?

Where'd you acquire the above tuning parameters from?

You haven't provided any information about the actual environment
itself and how various things in your system are behaving, save "not
using all CPU." Without that, you can't make any decent guesses as to
what's bottlenecking, thus any tuning is likely just hand-wavy,
cargo-cult-y nonsense.

So, if you think you're supposed to be getting much more out of that
box, you should start by trying to identify why exim isn't sending as
much mail as you'd like. I'd start by speaking to the exim team(s) and
ask what kind of logging / profiling they have. There's a bunch of
steps being taken when sending each message through the mail pipeline
and you should see whether exim is capped at some artificial queue
depth, or number of processes, or something.

2c,

-adrian