ufs multilabel performance

Richard Kojedzinszky krichy at tvnetwork.hu
Thu Nov 10 05:43:43 UTC 2011

Dear List,

I've noticed that when I enable multilabel on an fs, a file creation gets
around 20-30 times slower than without multilabel set.

This one-liner can be used to test the differences:
$ truss -D perl -e 'open(F, ">$_.file") for 1 .. 1000'

And one can see that the open call takes much more when multilabel is set
on an fs. It seems that only file creation needs that many time, when a
file exists it is opened much faster.

Could someone acknowledge this, and have some suggestions how to make it
faster?

Regards,

Kojedzinszky Richard
TvNetWork Nyrt.
E-mail: krichy (at) tvnetwork [dot] hu
PGP: 0x54B2BF0C8F59B1B7
   Fingerprint = F6D4 3FFE AF03 CACF 0DCB  46A1 54B2 BF0C 8F59 B1B7