Sandybridge Scalability with 3 & 4 cores

Matthew Tippett matthew at phoronix.com
Thu Feb 17 16:23:52 UTC 2011

Thanks Kris,

Moving to freebsd-performance.

Hi all,

When running NASA's NAS Parallel Benchmarks [1] under Phoronix Test
Suite [2] on PC-BSD 8.1, we are seeing a scalability issue on Intel's
new Sandybridge hardware.

We see scalability at 1, 2 and 6 processors enabled (via BIOS).  At 3 &
4 cores, we're seeing drop off in some tests, or a collapse in
performance in others.  Although it may be a quirk on the Sandybridge
hardware, it may also be a scalability issue in general.

Attached are two images showing the collapse in scalability.  The LU.A
test was unable to complete in a reasonable time (hours, vs the expected
minutes) and was aborted.  Interestingly the scalability at 6 cores were
in line with the other platforms.

To repeat these tests, you can download Phoronix Test Suite 3 RC and run
the NAS Parallel Benchmarks via the command

       ./phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/npb

And choose either the MG.B or LU.A subtest.  We'll be trying to remove
the HW from being a potential factor.

Also note that scalability of 6 cores + HyperThreading also dropped off
fairly heavily (so did OpenIndiana).

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

[1] http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Resources/Software/npb.html