Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Erik Cederstrand erik at cederstrand.dk
Thu Dec 22 11:21:05 UTC 2011

Den 21/12/2011 kl. 19.48 skrev Alexander Leidinger:

> And related to the subject: wasn't it you who developed the automatic benchmarking stuff? If yes, why not make it available? If you don't have he resources, I offer my help to make it available somewhere.

Yes, that's me. I'm mostly out of time right now, but I'd like to offer help if someone wants to pick up the project.

For those who haven't heard about it, it's a system designed specifically to track performance of FreeBSD over time by comparing revisions of FreeBSD, everything else being equal. It consists of a tinderbox-like build script for a build server, a script to install FreeBSD and run benchmarks on at least one slave, and a database-backed website to aggregate and visualize results.

The framework does work as-is, but it really needs to be updated: convert the scripts to use the SVN repo instead of CVS, improve visualization and search on the web fronted, and improve the benchmarking script so it's easier to extend. I don't have hardware available to run the benchmarks, but I think there's hardware available in the FreeBSD cluster.

Here's a link to the source code: http://dev.affect-it.dk/tracker.tgz
And to my thesis describing how it works: http://dev.affect-it.dk/tracker.pdf

Just send me a mail if you're interested.

Thanks,
Erik