Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Mon Dec 19 16:47:44 UTC 2011

[removed freebsd-current and freebsd-stable]

On 19/12/2011 13:16, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> For example, few checkboxes with common sysctl tuning would be perfect,
> even if they would be marked as "Experimental", or not recommended.
> I'm thinking it's better way to make something in one place (like in
> installer) rather than require make almost same actions in many (hundreds
> of thousands?... more?...) places (end-users forced to read
> mail-lists/handbooks/forums over and over for same solutions).
> Simple example - many connections for PostgreSQL is not available on
> FreeBSD out-of-box. Just google "postgresql freebsd max connection" and
> you'll see how many there bikesheds requested and same solutions posted
> again and again :)

This is what openSUSE does - it's possible to zoom through the installer
choosing the defaults, but on the final page before installation you can
tweak everything from the location of the bootloader to sysctl values. I
know this has been tried before, but I wonder if we need a project to
build a new installer that can do this, perhaps funded through the
FreeBSD Foundation?

--
Bruce Cran