Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Mike Bedwell pcallycat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:59:58 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 12:32 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Just saw this shot benchmark on Phoronix dot com today:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNzA
>
> It may be worth to discuss the sad performance of FBSD in some parts of
> the benchmark. A difference of a factor 10 or 100 is simply far beyond
> disapointing, it is more than inacceptable and by just reading those
> benchmarks, I'd like to drop thinking of using FreeBSD even as a backend
> server in scientific and business environments. In detail, some of the
> SciMark benches look disappointing. The overall image can't help over
> the fact that in C-Ray FreeBSD is better performing.
>
>  From the compiler, I'd like say there couldn't be a drop of more than 10
> - 15% in performance - but not 10 or 100 times.
>
> I'm just thinking about the discussion of SCHED_ULE and all the saur
> spots we discussed when I stumbled over the test.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

The benchmarks also need to be ran on equivalent hardware.  I've yet to
see phoronix perform a benchmark test where they actually used the same
rig to perform benchmark comparisons.  Too many things change from one
benchmark to the next to be able to reliably say what is at fault for
the benchmark differences.  The test needs to be re-ran in an
environment where the only thing that changes, is the operating system.
These benchmarks only show that linux on one machine performs
differently than bsd on an entirely different machine.