Possible evidence of performance regression for 8.1-S (vs. 7.1)

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 23 00:30:39 UTC 2010

On 10/22/10 4:48 PM, David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 04:17:30PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:50:10PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>> try the 7.x machine but running the 8.x kernel.. i.e. change nothing,
>>> but boot the new kernel.
>> I just started that test, to run over the weekend.
> Moot point: the build fails.

that shouldn't happen
maybe you need to set the uname vars so that the build THINKS it is on 7.x

man 3 uname to find them.

ENVIRONMENT
      UNAME_s  If the environment variable UNAME_s is set, it will
override the
               sysname member.

      UNAME_r  If the environment variable UNAME_r is set, it will
override the
               release member.

      UNAME_v  If the environment variable UNAME_v is set, it will
override the
               version member.

      UNAME_m  If the environment variable UNAME_m is set, it will
override the
               machine member.

it's not unusual to have to do this when cross building with a
different kernel.

Running an 8.x kernel with the 7.x userland is a crucial part of
debugging this.
we really can't do much more until we have the results.

If the build fails. it's either becasue the build detects the kernel
rev (which we want to
stop with this) or because of a bug in 8.1. It's supposed to be
downwards compatible.