PostgreSQL performance scaling

David Xu davidxu at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 22 08:37:23 UTC 2010

Mark Felder wrote:
> I recommend posting this on the Postgres performance list, too.
>

> Regards,
>

> Mark

I think if PostgreSQL uses semaphore for inter-process locking,
it might be a good idea to use POSIX semaphore exits in our head
branch, the new POSIX semaphore implementation now supports
process-shared, and is more light weight than SYSV semaphore,
if there is no contention, a process need not enter kernel to
acquire/release a lock. Note that I have just fixed a bug in head
branch. However RELENG_8 does not support process-shared semaphore
yet.

Regards,
David Xu