Extreme performance falling on ZFS by durable operation of a server

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Apr 12 22:15:30 UTC 2010

On 12-4-2010 21:56, K. Macy wrote:
> 8-STABLE is definitely better, but you should also set arc_min to at
> least 384M-512M. I'm not sure that arc_min is even honored under 7.2.

Your mileage might vary....

I've been tempted to report similar problems running
	8.0-stable march 23rd
	on amd64 with 8Gb
	running as fileserver (nfs/smb), imap/dovecot, rsync backup

But I get stalls (of several seconds) when trying to do something in the
shell first thing in the morning. After running some more service
responce gets a bit more back to normal.

Same holds for access over SMB and NFS with suffers from delays as well.

Seen more of these type of reports with unconclusive answers thusfar,
several of the suggestions did not improve the situation.
Haven't found the time to very seriously trace this, and report more
than just this.

--WjW

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Alexandr D. Sergeev<ales at ripn.net>  wrote:
>> Whether there are any ideas about the reasons of such problems?
>>
>> Whether transition to FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE / STABLE can help?
>> ZFS in it is declared as "bug free"

>>> Hi Kip,

>>> 4Gb.
>>> Applications consume a lot of memory, is partially used swap (~1Gb, but without active i/o).
>>>
>>> We have planned increase in memory to 16G

>>> Settings is default, that recommended for amd64 kernel.
>>> But I am not assured that it is optimal.
>>> Thus sysctl variables are automatically sets to:
>>> vfs.zfs.arc_max ~800Mb
>>> vfs.zfs.arc_mim ~128Mb
>>>
>>> Now the next reboot was required.
>>> Together with which following settings have been made:
>>>
>>> vm.kmem_size=2048M
>>> vfs.zfs.arc_max=1536M
>>> vfs.zfs.arc_min=1024M