FreeBSD 7.1 disk performance issue on ESXi 3.5

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Fri Feb 13 11:46:13 PST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 1:02 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:

<snip>

> As previously demonstrated by me and others, Linux usually has
> significantly better file system performance in the non-virtualized
> case, so the difference could be simply increased by the
> virtualization.

In my limited experience with VMWare linux seems to have near bare
metal disk performance.  FreeBSD seems to incur a significant
performance penalty.  For instance on my laptop, running OSX and
VMWare Fusion, FreeBSd virtual machines can't saturate 100TX off the
disk, raw dd manages about 7 Megs/sec, which is in line with what I
get shovelling big files around.   Disk is a 7200 RPM SATA2.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel