performance tuning on perc6 (LSI) controller

Benjeman J. Meekhof bmeekhof at umich.edu
Wed Mar 26 06:00:05 UTC 2008

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the response.  Your response quotes my initial uneven
results, but are you also implying that I most likely cannot achieve
results better than the later results which use a larger filesystem
blocksize?

gstripe label -v -s 128k test /dev/mfid0 /dev/mfid2
#newfs -U -b 65536 /dev/stripe/test
#write:  19.240875 secs (558052492 bytes/sec)
#read:  20.000606 secs (536854644 bytes/sec)

(iozone showed reasonably similar results - depending on recordsize
would mostly be writing/reading around 500MB/s, though lows of 300MB/s
were recorded in some read situations).

I suppose my real question is whether there is some inherent limit in
UFS2 or FreeBSD or geom that would prevent going higher than this.
Maybe that's really not possible to answer, but certainly I plan to
explore a few more configurations.

Most of my tuning so far has been trial and error to get to this point,
and all I ended up doing to finally get good results was changing
filesystem blocksize to the max possible (I wanted to go to 128k but it
doesn't let you do that).  Apparently UFS2 and/or geom interact
differently with the controller than Linux/XFS.  This is no great
surprise.

thanks,
Ben

--
Benjeman Meekhof - UM ATLAS/AGLT2 Computing
office: 734-764-3450 cell: 734-417-6312