Tuning: 100mbit faster, gbit slower.

Daniel Andersson engywook at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:59:56 UTC 2008

> >I think we are having a terminology problem here.  Are you meaning 30mb/s
> as
> >in 30 megabits per second (30% of 100TX speed) or do you mean 30 MB/s as
> in
> >30 Megabytes/sec?  I think in rereading you post you are meaning
> Megabytes
> >but using the terminology for megabits.

 Ah, yes, sorry! I ment 30MB/s.

>So here's what I've done to nearly saturate gig-e.  Keep in mind that I
> have
> >15k SAS drives and intel gig-e adapters that aren't sitting in 33mhz
> 32bit
> >PCI slots, single IDE/SATA drives are going to be a bottleneck as are
> 33mhz
> >32bit PCI NICs.
> >
> >This is on RELENG_6_3
> >

> >net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
> >net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144
> >
> >kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=1048576
> >ifconfig em0 mtu 9014 (You'll need a switch that supports jumbo frames to
> do
> >this)
> >
> >iperf shows wire traffic around 969 mbps and FTP runs at 110 Megs/sec
> >scp/sftp appears to be cpu bound at 45 Megs/sec, and NFS with TCP mounts
> and
> >send/receive packets set to 16384 manages about 90 Megs/sec.
> >--
> >Thanks,
> >Josh Paetzel
> >PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB
>
> I don't really need the extra speed on the internal network. I just want
the
steady 50MB/s back, but also the increased performance of rtorrent I got
from my "tuning". I'm also planning on getting more disks and setting up
either zfs or softraid to lessen the hdd bottleneck. One thing at a time
though.

Maybe setting kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=1M+ and leaving everything else default
will solve it. Since rtorrent has it's own setting for buffer sizes.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the mixup!
Daniel