pgbench results

alan bryan alan.bryan at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 15:35:37 UTC 2008

http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/blog/index.php?/archives/21-guid.html,
> or
> get close to the performance described there on
> similar hardware (e.g.
> thousands of transactions/s) ?

Here's mine for a somewhat similar setup.
FreeBSD 7.0 PostgreSQL 8.3
2x Intel Xeon 2.33GHZ quad cores (8 cores total), 8GB
RAM, 250GB RAID 10 (4x WD Raptor 10K drives).

Non-default settings:

max_connections = 200
shared_buffers = 1900MB
wal_buffers = 1024kB
checkpoint_segments = 192
checkpoint_timeout = 30min

createdb testdb
pgbench -i -s 100 testdb

# pgbench -c 100 -t 100000 testdb
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 100
number of clients: 100
number of transactions per client: 100000
number of transactions actually processed:
10000000/10000000

So, not as high as his numbers but then I've got less
RAM, one less drive spindle in my array (2 vs. 3 in
performance for the raid 10 setup), SATA vs. SCSI,
he's got 512MB of controller cache vs my 128MB.

--Alan