Real Insight on Performance

Wed Jul 16 06:21:54 UTC 2008

Quoting Rahul <rahulone at gmail.com> (from Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:17:46 -0400):

> For example: I would like to run a high performance web server that
> can handle up to 200 connections per second and serve them with great
> speed. That's where the concern for multi-threaded support. Depending

Serving 200 connections per second for static data is not hard. And
you don't need multi-threading for that. Multiple processes is
actually better than multi-threading in this regard, as you don't have
to do locking of filedescriptors in the the webserver over multiple
threads. The difference between linux and FreeBSD should be not big
for single CPU/core systems, but if you increase the number of
CPUs/cores this may be different. See the postgresql (it uses
processes, not threads like mysql) graphs in
http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/7.0%20and%20beyond.pdf to get
an idea about the scaling of more or less independent processes in
FreeBSD.

> on the request, I may have to load (and possibly unload) dynamic
> modules to perform calculations, and if need be, fetch data from
> either DB or flat file. It could involve connecting to a process on

As soon as you have calculations and/or DB accesses involved, it
mostly depends upon the DB optimizations ("good" tables, indexes, data
volume, queries, good concurrency of the DB, ...) and the computation,
not on the OS. So without any specific workload, we can not really
give recommendations (besides giving FreeBSD a try and working with us
if there's problem).

> another box to get request specific command strings. This process
> could run for almost 20 hours straight and OS still has to be able to
> keep in shape.

The OS doesn't care about how long a process runs. But if you talk
about good responsiveness of the OS while a process uses a lot of
memory and CPU, FreeBSD will handle it good (and from what I heard and
seen better than Linux, but I don't have numbers at hand).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
  Leela: Well, someone's in a good mode.