postgresql-performance using sysbench

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 30 02:36:55 PST 2008

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Write performance is something that we are working on, expect to hear
> about progress over the coming weeks/months.

Do you have some notes or descriptions about what is being worked on?
I'm currently doing some file system benchmarking for internal purposes
and I'm seeing sequential read/write performance nontrivially lower on
FreeBSD+UFS than on Linux+ext3. The Linux combination has ~~20% faster
writes and ~~60% faster reads, on a hardware RAID10 of four 15kRPM
drives, IBM ServeRAID 8 (file system ops / nonsequential are worse -
send me a private message for details). Is the work that's been going on
about lock contention or something at the low levels of the file system?