newfs locks entire machine for 20seconds

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 10:09:34 PST 2008

I'm just in the midst of setting up a new machine using 7.0-PRERELEASE
and while running newfs to init the data partitions the entire machine
stalled for a good 20seconds when processing a 500GB partition.

I had a number of windows open at the time including:-
1. gstat
2. top showing IO inc system @ 1 second intervals
3. newfs window

The newfs had completed its output, gstat was showing 95% usage on da0
and da0s3g and top was showing no IO users ( all 0% ).

At this point everything froze for ~ 20 seconds then returned to normal.

The machine is running with ULE on 7.0 as mention using an Areca 1220
controller over 8 disks in RAID 6 + Hotspare.

17:44:38 => 17:45:05

Rerunning the newfs reproduces the issue which is good so where do I
go from here?

I'm really interested in looking into this as we have production
machines which are also suffering from intermittent stalls which
could well be related.

    Regards
    Steve