Performance Tracker project update

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 24 03:20:04 PST 2008

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>> Ivan Voras wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a suggestion to make the graphs more readable: if a long
>>> period was chosen by the user (e.g. > 100 days / plot points), don't
>>> plot points and error bars, plot a simple line through the points.
>>> Also, set all date strings on the X-axis to empty strings except for
>>> the dates on 1/10ths of the interval.
>>
>> Noted. Thanks.
>
> Actually the error bars are quite important to see what is going on.
> Some of the metrics are very (too) noisy and if you only look at the
> data points they sometimes appear to have a signal when they don't.
> Ultimately that just means more data points should be taken per run for
> those metrics, but the error bars are the signal for this.

Of course they are useful, but do we really need to see them when there
are hundreds of samples plotted 1 pixel apart? (As I've said: keep them
when when the user "zooms in" on an appropriate small number of
samples). But this is an aesthetics-oriented idea, functionality won't
be impaired either way so feel free to ignore it.