FBSD 1GBit router?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Feb 26 00:31:13 UTC 2008

> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:05:18 +0100 (CET)
> From: Ingo Flaschberger <if at xip.at>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net at freebsd.org
>
> Hi,

> >> depending
> >> Ether
> >> hardware in
> >>
> >> I upgrade to 7.0RC3 but still the same. 418Mbit is the roof.
>
> older fbsd's are faster than newer.
>
> How are the nic's connected to the cpu?
>
> lspci -v

V7 is not (in my experience) slower than V4, v5, or v6. I have run a lot
of tests at speeds MUCH higher than 1Gb. With 10Gb cards, I can sustain
transfer rates of over 9Gbps (assuming low RTT and suitable
hardware). 1Gbps is not even a challenge...even over a 100 ms. RTT.

Note that high throughput may require some tuning. Transmit and receive
windows need to be rather large if the RTT is very long at all. (See
"bandwidth-delay product" in Stevens or some other TCP reference.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)