FBSD 1GBit router?

Mykola Dzham freebsd at levsha.org.ua
Sat Feb 9 17:02:56 UTC 2008

 Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008 8:00 AM, Bc. Radek Krejca <radek at ceskedomeny.cz> wrote:
>

> >   I have FreeBSD box as router
> >  FreeBSD pvt-gw.starnet.cz 6.1-RELEASE-p12 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p12 #2: Wed
> > Jan 31 21:28:44 CET 2007     root at pvt-gw.starnet.cz:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DL360-G4
> >  i386
> >  But speed is only about 382 Mbit. I have following values in
> >  sysctl.conf:
> >
> > net.inet.ip.fastforwarding=1
> > net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144
> > net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
> > kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=33554432
> >

> The ip.fastforwarding makes a tiny insignificant difference with the caveat
> that your box won't show up on traceroutes.  Fast forwarding is "fast" by
> virtue of the fact that it doesn't decrement TTL.

This effect make other sysctl variable: net.inet.ip.stealth
net.inet.ip.fastforwarding described in inet(4).
I have appreciable increase in productivity at the Core2Duo processor
with several em network cards after enabling
net.inet.ip.fastforwarding. Before enabling fastforwarding "swi1: net"
use 100% of one cpu, the second core stood idle. After enabling
fastforwarding "emX taskq" processes use both cores.

--
Mykola Dzham, LEFT-(UANIC|RIPE)
JID: levsha at jabber.net.ua