Performance Tracker project update

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 8 20:44:11 UTC 2008

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Historically, the Python optimizer wasn't capable of doing much, true,
> but the more recent versions of the optimizer can actually do some
> peephole optimizations like algorithmic simplification and constant
> folding:
>
> http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/other-lang.html#SECTION0001320000000000000000

A quick test with the built-in pystone mini-benchmark (taken out of the
standard library so the optimization can be varied) yields [*]:

python without -O : 5802.36
python with -O : 5781.39

In both cases, the commands were:

 >>> import pystone
 >>> pystone.main(50000)

on

Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 12 2008, 13:07:38)
[GCC 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]] on freebsd7

I guess they still have to work on the optimizer :)

[*] This is on a AMD Geode CPU (500 MHz), so don't compare it with
something normal :)