network performance

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Thu Feb 7 01:43:24 PST 2008

Greetings,

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Stefan Lambrev wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> Finally I got pmcstat working - http://89.186.204.158/hwpmc-p4.txt
>> The stats are gathered during 600kpp incoming.
>> I think that syncache or what calls MD5Transform is not SMP able, and
>> that's why outgoing 250kpps is the limit that I can't beat.
>
> It looks like the syncache is using most of the CPU time.  However you
> are not hitting problems caused by lack of concurrency there.  It does
> do a *lot* of work with the syncache mutex held (including generation
> of the cookie, which involves MD5) so it might be an issue in the
> future, but there are other bottlenecks in the way before that is your
> main issue.  Things may be different with more CPUs.
>
> Did you compare to what happens to performance when the syncache is
> disabled?
>
> Kris

When I disable syncookies the server respond to more packets - from
250kpps enabled to 320kpps when disabled.
Can I disable syncache and how?
I'll try to increase syncache limits and will test again.

Btw is this expected - net.inet.tcp.syncache.count: -387.
I think this number should be always > 0.

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev