network performance

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Tue Feb 5 14:02:10 PST 2008

Hello,

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> OK, this shows the following major problems:
>
>     39     22375065      1500649     5690741     3     0       119007
>      712359 /usr/src/sys/net/route.c:147 (sleep mutex:radix node head)
>     21      3012732      1905704     1896914     1     1        14102
>      496427 /usr/src/sys/netinet/ip_output.c:594 (sleep mutex:rtentry)
>     22          120      2073128          47     2 44109            0
>           3
> /usr/src/sys/modules/if_lagg/../../net/ieee8023ad_lacp.c:503
> (rw:if_lagg rwlock)
>     39     17857439      4262576     5690740     3     0        95072
>     1484738 /usr/src/sys/net/route.c:197 (sleep mutex:rtentry)
>
> It looks like the if_lagg one has been fixed already in 8.0, it could
> probably be backported but requires some other infrastructure that
> might not be in 7.0.
>
> The others are to do with concurrent transmission of packets (it is
> doing silly things with route lookups).  kmacy has a WIP that fixes
> this.  If you are interested in testing an 8.0 kernel with the fixes
> let me know.
Well those servers are only for tests so I can test everything, but at
some point I'll have to make final decision what to use in production :)

>>> http://89.186.204.158/lagg2-gprof.txt I forget this file :)
>>>
>> I found that MD5Transform aways uses ~14% (with rx/txcsum enabled or
>> disabled).
>
> Yeah, these don't have anything to do with MD5.
Well I didn't find from where MD5Transform() is called, so I guess it's
a some 'magic', that I still do not understand ;)

>> And when using without lagg MD5Transform pick up to 20% of the time.
>> Is this normal?
>
> It is probably from the syncache.  You could disable it
> (net.inet.tcp.syncookies_only) if you don't need strong protection
> against SYN flooding.
>
> Kris
How the server perform during SYN flooding is exactly what I test at the
moment :)
So I can't disable this.

Just for information, if someone is interested - I looked how linux
(2.6.22-14-generic ubuntu) perform in the same situation .. by default
it doesn't perform at all - it hardly replays to 100-200 packets/s,
with syncookies enabled it can handle up to 70-90,000 pps (250-270,000
compared to freebsd), but the server is very loaded and not very
responsible.
Of course this doesn't mean that FreeBSD can't perform better ;)

I plan to test iptables, newer kernel, various options, and may be few
others distros.