7.0 CPU and Memory Performance

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 13 08:41:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Tim Traver wrote:

> I have recently had the opportunity to upgrade a few servers from old
> versions of 5.4 to 7.0, and have seen some interesting data. Before doing
> this, I wanted to take some benchmarks to see how the scripts that I would
> run would fare between the two versions, and the results are somewhat
> confusing...

There are potentially a lot of variables here, you migh want to try fiddling
with the following and see what difference it makes:

(1) Try both 4BSD and ULE in 7.0 -- they have different properties, and at the
     very least it would be nice to see what impact it has.

(2) Statically compile the 5.4 binary, and run the same binary on both 5.4 and
     7.0 -- there have been lots of compiler changes, which might be relevant.

Also, can you confirm that you're running either 32-bit or 64-bit kernels
consistently on both versions of FreeBSD?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge