Optimizing "make release"

Erik Cederstrand erik at cederstrand.dk
Tue Sep 25 12:41:28 PDT 2007

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:59:44AM +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>>  Brooks Davis wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 01:34:34PM +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>>  >> [...]
>>> To just create a working image you can just do:
>>> make buildworld
>>> make buildkernel
>>> make DESTDIR=/target/directory installworld
>>> make DESTDIR=/target/directory distribution
>>> make DESTDIR=/target/directory installkernel
>>  This doesn't seem to create the distribution sets I want. It just creates
>>  the hierarchy of files which are eventually going to be on the hard-disk on
>>  the clients. I may be wrong, but it seems that to be able to use sysinstall
>>  to install the clients, I need to create distribution sets like the ones
>>  supplied here:
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/
>
> Ah, I didn't realized you wanted to do that.  If you do want to use sysinstall,
> then you do indeed to use make release.  The various NO* options documented in
> the release(7) manpage and the makefile should be useful here.

Ok, thanks.

> That said, I can't imagine why you'd want sysinstall to be involved in
> a automated benchmark system.

Incompetence is probably the best answer :-)

> Doing what it does using a hand rolled script is way easier then trying work with it.

Ok, so are you suggesting something like this?:

1. make world, distribution, kernel
2. make any necessary changes to config files
3. cram the result onto a custom mfs (or make it available somewhere)
4. boot using the custom mfs as root device
5. point init_path in loader.conf to my own script which:
  5a. prepares (bsdlabel, newfs etc.) the hard-disk
  5b. mounts the hard-disk and copies the distribution files over
5. reboot
6. install any necessary packages
7. run benchmarks

Erik