Optimizing "make release"

Erik Cederstrand erik at cederstrand.dk
Mon Sep 24 23:59:49 PDT 2007

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 01:34:34PM +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
 >> [...]
>>  If I ignore documentation distfiles (will this affect benchmarks in any
>>  way?), AFAICT the only distribution sets I need are base, proflibs, kernels
>>  and (maybe) lib32. Is there a way to get "make release" to do just that? I'm
>>  open to other suggestions, of course.
>
> To just create a working image you can just do:
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make DESTDIR=/target/directory installworld
> make DESTDIR=/target/directory distribution
> make DESTDIR=/target/directory installkernel

This doesn't seem to create the distribution sets I want. It just
creates the hierarchy of files which are eventually going to be on the
hard-disk on the clients. I may be wrong, but it seems that to be able
to use sysinstall to install the clients, I need to create distribution
sets like the ones supplied here:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/

Erik