ULE vs. 4BSD in RELENG_7

Jeff Roberson jroberson at chesapeake.net
Tue Nov 6 17:10:17 PST 2007

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Josh Carroll wrote:

>> Turns out the last patch I posted had a small compile error because I
>> edited it by hand to remove one section.  Here's an updated patch that
>> fixes that and changes the min/max slice values to something more
>> reasonable.  Slice min should be around 4 with a max of 12.
>>
>> Also looks like 4BSD's slice handling got more precise recently as well.
>> jhb changed it from using a callout to an actual counter based on runtime.
>
> ffmpeg runtime with the new patch: 1:39.09
>
> buildworld: 13:55.689
>
> Looks like things got a little worse with this patch. One thing of
> note, the slice_min and slice values are:
>
> kern.sched.slice_min: 5
> kern.sched.slice: 13

That's expected due to the fuzzy rounding of 128 / 10, etc.  Can you set
slice_min and slice both equal to 7 and see if the numbers come out
better than without the patch but with a slice value of 7?  Basically I'm
trying to isolate the effects of the different slice handling in this
patch from the other changes.

Thanks,
Jeff