possible issues with Dell/Perc5 raid

Randy Schultz schulra at earlham.edu
Fri May 11 14:44:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Tom Judge spaketh thusly:

-}> --
-}<SNIP>
-}From the boot messages you have included below it seems that you have a Dell
-}SAS-5i (Internal PCIe) controller and not a Perc/5[ie].

Tnx Tom.   Yeah I knew that but didn't catch it in the Subject:  The perc/5 is
on another machine.

-}
-}The SAS-5 known to have very poor performance (1Mb/s 100%busy) under certain
-}loads (cvsup).

Hmm.  Did not know that.

Since I have a second machine just like this one, I also think I'm going to
try pulling out the SAS 5i card and going with a software mirror package like
gvinum or gmirror.  Given the #'s Bill Moran posted and the horrible #'s you
list above, this may be a viable option.

--
 Randy    (schulra at earlham.edu)      765.983.1283         <*>

Rain puts a hole in stone because of its constancy, not its force.
   - H. Joseph Gerber