FreeBSD-6.1 reboots due to high mbufs

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Fri Mar 30 07:10:56 UTC 2007

Dear All,

I am quite new to FreeBSD in general and I also don't have much experience and knowledge as required by this mailing list. I had posted this on freebsd-questions but till now have not received any kind of feedback which is fine.

I need some help and suggestions from this mailing list if permissible. I am sorry if I am posting this to the wrong mailing list.

I have squid proxy server running on a FreeBSD-6.1 (amd) box. I have been facing this problem for sometime now. It's related to mbufs. For some reasons, my mbufs usage is extremely high. This high mbufs usage causes slow responses from Squid and in rare occasions, it even causes my server to reboot or locks out SSH sessions.

This FreeBSD-6.1 squid box serves about 3000-4000 users.

Server specs are:

Dell 430 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz-Dual CPU
real memory  = 2145959936 (2046 MB)
bge0: <Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet
traffic load: 10Mb/s (through satellite)

root at server# netstat -m

66713/2677/69390 mbufs in use (current/cache/total)
66686/2210/68896/0 mbuf clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
66686/2178 mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use (current/cache)
0/0/0/0 4k (page size) jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
0/0/0/0 9k jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
0/0/0/0 16k jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
150050K/5089K/155139K bytes allocated to network (current/cache/total)
0/0/0 requests for mbufs denied (mbufs/clusters/mbuf+clusters)
0/0/0 requests for jumbo clusters denied (4k/9k/16k)
0/0/0 sfbufs in use (current/peak/max)
0 requests for sfbufs denied
0 requests for sfbufs delayed
0 requests for I/O initiated by sendfile
0 calls to protocol drain routines

/etc/sysctl.conf:

kern.maxfilesperproc=8192
kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192
kern.maxprocperuid=8192
net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst=10000
net.inet.ip.portrange.first=30000
net.inet.ip.portrange.last=65535
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2
net.inet.udp.blackhole=1
net.inet.ip.fw.verbose_limit=5000
net.inet.icmp.icmplim=0
net.inet.tcp.msl=3000
net.isr.direct=1
vfs.read_max=16

/boot/loader.conf:

kern.ipc.nmbclusters=0
kern.maxusers=0
kern.maxfiles=16384
kern.maxproc=8192

Relevant Kernel Options:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=5000
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD_EXTENDED

options         MSGMNB=16384
options         MSGMNI=41
options         MSGSEG=2049
options         MSGSSZ=64
options         MSGTQL=2048
options         SHMSEG=128
options         SHMMNI=192
options         SHMMAX=33554432
options         SHMMIN=1
options         SHMALL=8192

options HZ=1000  #Polling Enabled

Note: Running IPFW. Also my other FreeBSD-4.x servers don't seem to suffer from this problem. They have almost the same IPFW, Squid and Sysctl configs.

Any feedback and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanking you...

- --

With best regards and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,