w hangs before loading

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Mar 7 22:04:46 UTC 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 12:41 PM, Vivek Prasannan wrote:
[ ...cross-posting between freebsd-questions and other FreeBSD lists
      is generally not encouraged; Reply-To: set... ]

> When I type the command 'w' it holds for a while before printing
> the output.
> There is no firewall in the system, load average is below 0.8 and I
> suspect
> it is something else. Any thoughts on this.

The 'w' command attempts to look up the hostnames for any users which
are remotely logged in.

If you encounter a significant delay, that suggests that reverse DNS
(aka PTR record lookups) is not properly configured or is performing
slowly in your situation.

--
-Chuck