UDP performance.

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 1 10:13:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Kip Macy wrote:

>> We recently put a stock Fedora Core 6 and a stock FreeBSD 6.2 on the same
>> HW (HP ProLiant DL320 G5 Dual Core Xeons w/ 16GB RAM) and running BIND
>> 9.4.0 and a well known ccTLD zone that we slammed a query stream to.  On a
>> single threaded BIND, there was a 20% advantage to Linux, on a multi
>> threaded build, Linux trounced FreeBSD (39k to 89k queries/sec)
>>
>> There's also been other analysis done by Marcelo Amarai @ Registro.br that
>> was posted to freebsd-net back last September.
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-September/011748.html>
>
> I have a couple of dual Woodcrests running back-to-back over multiple 10GigE
> cards that I'd like to do performance testing with. Did you use the same
> testing methodology as Marcelo? If not can you go into more detail on your
> setup and how to reproduce?

BIND9 includes a tool called "queryperf" that can be used to generate DNS
query workloads against a DNS server and characterize the results.  You'll
need to provide zone(s) and a list of queries to perform.  It's not imported
in our contrib tree, but can be found in the port.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge